These muffins are jam packed with banana and chocolatey goodness. They’re a crowd pleaser and luckily this recipe makes enough to feed a crowd!
I based this recipe off of an old family favorite. I loved the bare bones of the old recipe but I felt like it needed to be spruced up a little bit. The sour cream adds richness and the cinnamon perfectly compliments the bananas and chocolate chips. These banana chocolate chip muffins are lovely served warm with a glass of cold milk. They also make wonderful leftovers.
Not only are these banana chocolate chip muffins delicious, but they are extremely easy and fast to make! Just as you would with a standard muffin recipe, preheat the oven (350° F) and prepare and set aside two muffin tins. Then, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Beat these together until the mixture is light and creamy. Add the eggs, vanilla extract, and mashed bananas and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
Next whisk together all of the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Flour, baking soda, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt. This makes sure that you don’t end up taking a bite and finding a clump of baking powder or baking soda.
Mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients together just until combined. DO NOT over mix. This is probably the most common mistake people make with muffins. It is okay if there are still a few lumps at this stage.
Next, gently fold in the sour cream. Again, don’t overmix! Add the chocolate chips and fold them in just until combined.
Using a ¼ measuring cup, pour the batter into the prepared muffin tins. If there is any leftover batter, evenly divide it between each muffin.
Bake at 350° F for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. You can also gently tap the top of the muffin, if it springs back it’s done!
Let the muffins cool for 5-10 minutes. You can serve the muffins while warm, or you wait until completely cool. Enjoy!
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter (softened)
- 2 eggs
- 4 overripe bananas (mashed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line or grease two muffin tins. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and creamy in appearance. Add the eggs, vanilla extract, and mashed bananas and beat until well combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined. Fold in the sour cream being careful not to over mix. Then, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Use a ¼ measuring cup to pour the batter into the prepared muffin tins. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.