I love popcorn, coconut, and chocolate. So why not combine all three into one delicious snack? This chocolate coconut popcorn is amazing. It has just the right balance of sweet and salty. This recipe is a crowd pleaser, but make more than you think you need because you’re going to want left-overs!
The key to getting the rich coconut flavor that is so delicious in this recipe is to use coconut oil and to toast the coconut. I use a Whirleypop so I pop the popcorn kernels directly in the coconut oil. The coconut oil adds a lot of flavor, but if you’re using an air popper you can either leave it out or melt it and drizzle it onto the popped kernels before you add the chocolate. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, spread the popped corn on the baking sheet and set aside.
Toasting coconut can be a little tricky. Some people like to do it in the oven, but I prefer to do it in a pan on the stove because it’s easier to keep track of how quickly it is toasting. Plus, I always manage to forget about the coconut and burn it if I use the oven. I cannot stress this enough, do NOT use the sugar coated coconut you find in the baking isle. The coconut won’t toast properly if it is sugar coated, plus it will make your popcorn too sweet. Remember that the coconut will continue toasting for a few minutes after you remove it from the heat, so take it off a little earlier than you think you need to.
You can melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30 second bursts. Make sure you stir between each 30 seconds. I prefer using a piping bag to drizzle the chocolate. I think it is easier and faster and distributes the chocolate more evenly then using a spoon to drizzle it. Drizzle the chocolate over the popped kernels. Sprinkle on the toasted coconut and add sea salt to taste. Let it sit at room temperature (or in the refrigerator if you’re impatient like me) until the chocolate is firm. Enjoy you chocolate coconut popcorn!
Chocolate Coconut Popcorn
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or butter (the coconut oil adds to the intensity of the coconut flavor)
- ¼ cup popcorn kernels
- ¼ cup shredded coconut (unsweetened!)
- ¾ cup milk chocolate chips
- sea salt (to taste)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Pop your popcorn kernels. I use a Whirley Pop so I pop the kernels on the stove with two tablespoons of coconut oil. If you are using an air popper, you can melt coconut oil or butter and add it after you pop your kernels. Place on the prepared cookie sheet and set aside.
- Toast the coconut in a pan on the stove over medium-low heat stirring constantly. Remove the coconut from the heat right before it is done toasting because it will keep cooking after it is removed from the heat. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Stir the chocolate every 30 seconds. Be careful not to burn the chocolate! Pour it into a piping bag and set aside.
- Drizzle the chocolate on the popcorn. Sprinkle with toasted coconut and sea salt (to taste).
- Let the coconut sit until the chocolate has solidified. If you're impatient like me, you can stick it in the freezer for 5 minutes. Enjoy immediately!