This post may contain affiliate links. Please read The Leaven of Life’s disclosure policy.
I love making these Chocolate Peppermint Croissants for breakfast when it gets close to the holidays. There’s just enough peppermint to put you in the holiday spirit without it being cloying. Because you’re not using peppermint extract, you won’t get that alcohol aftertaste that so often accompanies using flavored extracts.
You only need three ingredients for this recipe; chocolate, candy canes, and store bought puff pastry. Normally, I’m a stickler for making things from scratch but most days I simply don’t have time for all of the folding, rolling, and chilling homemade puff pastry requires. You can make this recipe with homemade puff pastry if you would like, but if you need a fast and easy treat use pre-made puff-pastry sheets! They still taste great and you will save a lot of time. You can also keep a package of store bought puff pastry in the freezer for emergencies.
Follow the instructions for thawing the packaged puff pastry. Usually it takes 30-40 minutes at room temperature for the dough to thaw. Make sure the dough is still cold when thawed. While waiting for the dough to thaw, preheat the oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with baking paper. Then crush the candy canes. If you have a food processor you can use it to crush the candy canes. I just put them in a plastic bag and whack it with my rolling pin. This is also a valid anger management technique. Finally, melt the chocolate. You can use a bain-marie or just throw it in the microwave. If using the microwave, make sure you use 30 second bursts and stir between each one.
When the puff pastry dough is thawed (but still cold). Carefully unfold it and roll out the creases. Then cut it into 6 long and skinny triangles (there should be two sheets of dough in each package so 12 triangles total). I like to roll the base of the triangle a little wider so it holds the chocolate better. Add a spoonful of melted chocolate to the base of each triangle and then pour one teaspoon of crushed candy cane on top of the chocolate. Starting at the base of the triangle, roll the dough up to form a croissant roll. Place all 12 rolls onto the prepared baking sheet.
Now it’s time to make the egg wash. An egg wash is used to give baked goods a deeper golden color. If you want a lighter color use only the egg white, if you want a deeper color use the whole egg. For this recipe, I used the whole egg and whisked it with one teaspoon of water. Generously brush the egg wash on top of your croissant rolls, sprinkle any remaining candy cane pieces on top, and immediately place them in the preheated oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden and crispy. Enjoy your Chocolate Peppermint Croissants!
The glasses in this photo are from Pioneer Woman and I found them on Amazon.
Chocolate Peppermint Croissants
- 1 package puff pastry (thawed but still cold)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 4 candy canes
- 1 egg
- Follow the instructions on the packaging, thaw the pre-made puff pastry (usually about 30-40 minutes at room temperature).
- Preheat the oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put the four candy canes in a plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin. Set aside.
- Using a bain-marie or the microwave, melt the chocolate chips. Set aside.
- One the puff-pastry has thawed, gently unfold it and smooth out the folds with a rolling pin (one sheet at a time). Then use a pizza cutter to cut each sheet into 6 triangles. I like to roll the base of each triangle a little wider so it holds the chocolate a little better.
- Put a spoonful of melted chocolate at the base of each triangle and sprinkle one teaspoon of crushed candy canes on top of the chocolate.
- Starting from the chocolate filled base, roll the triangle in on itself to form a croissant base.
- Place the croissant rolls on the prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl, whisk together an egg with one teaspoon of water to make an egg wash. Generously brush the croissants with the egg wash and sprinkle any remaining crushed candy cane bits on top.
- Bake the rolls at 400° F for 25-30 minutes until crispy and golden brown. Enjoy!