My mom would make a big batch of homemade granola for us at least once a week. It was a fast, cheap, and healthy way to feed a large family of seven growing kids! I’ve made a few adjustments to her recipe that have resulted in a crispier and slightly sweeter granola. I also amped up the nutty flavor by adding ground flax seed, pecans, almond extract, and toasted coconut.
This homemade granola recipe is very forgiving and there is a lot of room for experimentation and ingredient swapping. If you don’t like coconut you can leave it out and this recipe will still be delicious. You can swap out the pecans with sliced almond, walnuts, or any other nut.
When toasting your coconut, make sure you take it off the heat right before you think it is done. The coconut will continue to brown after you remove the saucepan from the heat so you don’t want to wait to long. Throw the coconut, oats, ground flax, and pecans in a large bowl mix.
The saucepan you toasted the coconut in will still be warm, so to save on dishes put the coconut oil and honey in the hot pan and allow them to melt. Add the brown sugar, vanilla, almond extract, and salt and stir. This will bring the temperature down enough that you can add the egg white and beat it in without it cooking and turning into scrambled eggs. Beat the mixture well and pour it into the dry ingredients.
Mix the granola well and then evenly spread it on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 325° F for 14 minutes and then stir. Bake for another 14 minutes or until golden and crispy.
This granola will stay good for quite awhile if kept in an airtight container. You can serve it while warm or wait until it is completely cool. It is perfect for yoghurt parfaits or just with milk.
- 3 cups rolled oats (old fashioned)
- 1 cup roughly chopped pecans
- 1 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- ⅓ cup ground flax
- ⅓ cup honey
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Toast the shredded coconut in a small saucepan over medium heat stirring occasionally. It should take about 5 minutes.
- While the coconut is toasting, coarsely chop one cup of pecans.
- Add the 3 cups of oats, toasted coconut, chopped pecans, and ⅓ cup of ground flax in a large mixing bowl. Stir and set aside.
- The pan you just toasted the coconut in should still be warm so add the ¼ cup of coconut oil into the pan and let it melt. Add the brown sugar, honey, vanilla extract, almond extract, and salt and mix well. Next add the egg white and beat until the mixture is well combine and smooth.
- Pour the coconut oil mixture into the oat mixture and mix well. Pour onto prepared cookie sheet and spread evenly.
- Bake at 325° F for 14 minutes. Turn the granola and bake for another 14 minutes. Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to a week.